The AACU (in partnership with ZERO and the AUA) is actively working on no-cost sharing prostate cancer screening legislation.
These legislative efforts aim to give prostate cancer parity to several other cancers which offer screenings with no attached co-pays or other cost-sharing fees. It’s urgent that we inspire legislation that will make prostate cancer screening free and accessible to all men. Visit and bookmark our Prostate Cancer Screening Legislation tracker to keep tabs on all related legislation.
- California – Assemblyman Mike Gipson has submitted the language for the bill to legislative counsel. We will have a bill number soon!
- Texas – HB 118 was introduced by Rep. Phil Cortez. We’re hoping to get the bill into the first or second hearing of the year for the House Committee on Insurance. The Texas Urological Society is cultivating support in both chambers and will be ready to move forward once committee assignments are announced. TX AACU members: We need you! We are anticipating opposition to this legislation! Complete our Advocate Interest Form if you are willing to get involved in helping pass this important legislation.
- Pennsylvania and New Jersey – Bills are being reintroduced this legislative session. PA and NJ AACU members: Texas AACU members: We need you! We are anticipating opposition to this legislation! Complete our Advocate Interest Form if you are willing to get involved in helping pass this important legislation.
Potential Legislative Opportunities
- District of Columbia – Stakeholders are in talks with DC councilmembers to consider introducing a cost-sharing bill to the DC council.
- New Hampshire and Wisconsin – there is the potential for introducing similar legislation in New Hampshire and Wisconsin.