AACU News & Notes
Physician Selected to Run HHS, Medicaid Reform Consultant Headed to CMS
posted: November 29, 2016
In an announcement released early Tuesday, President-elect Donald Trump nominated an orthopedic surgeon and health policy consultant to lead the Department of Health and Human Services and Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services, respectively.
Representative Tom Price, MD (R-GA), currently chairs the House Budget Committee and is a past AACU Carson Lecture honoree. He has authored proposals to replace the Affordable Care Act with comprehensive reforms that include health savings accounts and medical liability reform. Dr. Price will replace Sylvia Mathews Burwell, a global non-profit executive who has served as Secretary of Health and Human Services since 2014.
According to a statement issued by the President-elect’s transition team, Dr. Price said there was much work to be done “to ensure we have a healthcare system that works for patients, families, and doctors” based on “sensible rules to protect the well-being of the country while embracing its innovative spirit.”
Seema Verma is a health care consultant who oversaw the development of Indiana’s “private option” for Medicaid expansion. Ms. Verma will replace Acting Administrator Andy Slavitt, who has served as CMS Administrator for more than 18 months without being confirmed. Most recently, he has overseen the development of a new Medicare physician payment system.
President-elect Trump praised both nominees, “Together, Chairman Price and Seema Verma are the dream team that will transform our healthcare system for the benefit of all Americans.”
- Trump looks to Tom Price, Seema Verma to overhaul health care (Reuters, Nov. 29, 2016)
- Trump picks Seema Verma to head Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (Politico, Nov. 29, 2016)
- Health nominee Price may find that changing HHS isn’t easy (AP, Nov. 29, 2016)
- CMS nominee set up Indiana’s unusual Medicaid expansion (Washington Post, Nov. 29, 2016)
- Official Bio: Tom Price, MD
- Official Bio: Seema Verma, MPH